Sunday, August 22, 2010

Launch at the Melbourne Writers Festival

On Friday the 3rd of September I launch my book, Diary of a Schizophrenic, at the Melbourne Writers Festival. This has been a long held dream of mine, to participate in this festival, which I have attended over many years. The book itself is very close to my heart, and to see it gain a wider audience gives me a great sense of satisfaction. You can read blog entries below about the book, but in essence it is a dairy I kept in 1998 during a schizophrenic episode. A lot has happened in the meantime. I have passed a PhD, become married, become a father and had a rich working life. But most of all, I believe, I have lived, and in doing so given the book an added vitality which hopefully will serve it well.

At any rate, here are the details of the launch:

Date: Friday, the 3rd of September, 2010
Time: 11.30am - 12.30pm
Venue: Feddish, a bar at Federation Square, Melbourne , Australia

Attendance is free. You can buy the book, and I'll even sign it for you! Feel free to read below more about the book, how it came about, and its context in my life.

Hope to see you there.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Paul
just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS! on the book. I just had the good fortune of catching you on RN's "All in The Mind" and was very impressed by your own personal journey through schizophrenia and by how you're making sense of your experiences.

I found your conceptualisation of mental illness very helpful; specially how you work at the intersection b/w psychology and philosophy.
Can't wait to read your book and look forward to keeping up with your work on your blog
best wishes and keep thriving!

Meowow said...

Hello Paul,

I heard your interview on All in the Mind too. I've worked in mental health services for the past 15 years, and have often hoped to find a strong voice on behalf of the people who experienced psychosis. Many people come forward with their personal stories, but few can bridge that 'us' and 'them' gulf between the sufferers and the naive. You sound wonderfully articulate and your descriptions drew me into an awareness of a different world without being dramatic or obscure. I have high hopes for your book, and I look forward to reading it. Congratulations on its publication, and I hope to hear more from you.