Sunday, August 30, 2009

Schizophrenia and Philosophy

I have recently had an article published in an academic journal in the UK. The journal is called 'Consciousness Literature and the Arts', and the article explores the life and work of the ballet dancer Nijinsky who suffered from schizophrenia, and is entitled 'Nijinsky: Ballet, Schizophrenic Consciousness and Philosophy'. In particular it examines a diary he kept while he was entering into his first episode. This is interesting for me as I have had my own diary published through Chipmunkapublishing, also in the UK. My diary, 'Diary of a Schizophrenic' was kept in 1998 when I also experienced an episode. What is similar about both these diaries is that they both have detailed philosophical content. I was about to enter my honours year at university and was to write my thesis on Wittgenstein, and I mention him numerous times in the diary. Nijinsky was Reading Nietzsche and Schopenhauer and writes about them in his diary. What makes this all the more interesting for me is that I am now doing a PhD in Philosophy on schizophrenia. I have used my experiences to gain insight into the condition which I am utilising in my work on schizophrenia at a university level. I have also given a number of papers at academic conferences on my research. I have given a paper on Wittgenstein and schizophrenia, Heidegger and schizophrenia, and Immanuel Kant and schizophrenia, amongst others. I have used their ideas to interpret what schizophrenia may be.

I am hoping with my background and my academic training I can work to progress the debate about schizophrenia and help to diminish some of the stigma that surrounds the condition.

4 comments:

Stu said...

Congratulations on the publication!

I'd also be interested in reading your earlier papers (Wittgenstein, Heidegger, Kant).

Wittgenstein and Heidegger certainly had interesting things to say about poetry and its relationship to philosophy...

Anonymous said...

I happened to stumble upon your blog about Schizophrenia and Philosophy, and was curious about what you know of the disease. I just completed my first manuscript on schizophrenia, based on the perspective of a schizophrenic. I would like your input, your academic stance on the disease. I would like to link up with persons who mingle with the notion of schizophrenia. right now, the manuscript is in its first draft, but I plan to publish.

you may email me at vizions7778@hotmail.com.

Sincerely,

Stephen Strange

Anonymous said...

also, a little about myself: I am senior at the University of Kentucky, an English major. I am a writer, a poet, and a lyricist. I am schizophrenic, have been for about 12 years. this manuscript is in revision, but I would like to discuss other, outside perspectives from others who are schizophrenic, how they deal with the disease, etc.

thanks.

Stephen Strange

Initially NO said...

1998 was the year I had my first episode of what got diagnosed schizophrenia. Must've been something in the air that year... Na, coincidences just happen. Congratulations on this publication! A very different view of my understanding of what schizophrenia is. Good read for people trying to understand 'negative symptoms'.